Today I write an article about the JTAG for ARM.It is an open-source JTAG or openOCD. The article below is the introduction of the good JTAG I found from www.sparkfun.com website (It was made from OLIMEX).
ARM USB openOCD JTAG is a device that used for debugging the ARM series microcontroller, it also can be used as the programmer too. This ARM USB openOCD JTAG is combined with RS232 virtual COM port and power supply adapter. This item allow you to debug your ARM boards with full featured virtual RS232 port with all modem signals on it. It also have a power jack that can provide the tree range voltage that is 5V , 9V and 12V DC via jumper selection. It include the CD that contain the software neccessary to perform the ARM development and debugging with this USB openOCD such as
- Eclipse IDE using Yagarto and Codesourcery as toolchains.
- ARM USB openOCD driver for Windows.
- Various ARM sample project (include source code) that can use the ARM USB openOCD as the debugger and programmer.
- A good documents and instruction about how to use this ARM USB openOCD with Eclipse IDE .
- Other utilities software that can be used to integrate with the ARM development IDE and can work together with ARM USB openOCD (such as CYGWIN GNU C/C++ compiler, GNUARM GNU C/C++ compiler).
- OpenOCD for JTAG debugging software.
(*almost the software list above is open-source)
- This item can be used with the CrossWorks for ARM development IDE too. Please visit the Olimex website for more information about how to use it with CrossWorks for ARM.
For more information about its hardware specifications, you can visit the two links below.
For the person who develop ARM project on an open-source platform, This JTAG would be suitable for you.
People who love an Embedded System must ever written a program to run in the microcontroller.Today I will suggest some good embedded development board for people who interesting in ARM7/ARM9. These development board is rather high performance an all of them are 32-bit platform, of course they are not too expensive for you to buy them!
For a long time I have developed ARM7 embedded system , I think the ARM7 LPC2478/LPC2378 from NXP is a good one to study and the development board I recommand is as below
The above link may be changed or deleted, so I recommend you to search for the arm7 from the seller name “esky-sh” instead because this seller is selling ARM7 development board.
1. http://tinyurl.com/losvak (this board can develop with uClinux as well as C for ARM)
About the ARM9 development board , I found them a lot on ebay and almost of them used the Samsung S3C2440 as the main MPU (microcontroller processing unit) as below.
but I also recommend this seller ->>
that is esky-sh
Another interesting one is the product from www.tincantools.com. The development board from Tin Can Tools was developed as the separated embedded module so It will be easy for integrate the other embedded module to it because it come with prototyping board!!!
Of course, you can find this interesting board from www.tincantools.com