Today I write an article about the JTAG for ARM.It is an open-source JTAG or openOCD. The article below is the introduction of the good JTAG I found from www.sparkfun.com website (It was made from OLIMEX).
ARM USB openOCD JTAG is a device that used for debugging the ARM series microcontroller, it also can be used as the programmer too. This ARM USB openOCD JTAG is combined with RS232 virtual COM port and power supply adapter. This item allow you to debug your ARM boards with full featured virtual RS232 port with all modem signals on it. It also have a power jack that can provide the tree range voltage that is 5V , 9V and 12V DC via jumper selection. It include the CD that contain the software neccessary to perform the ARM development and debugging with this USB openOCD such as
- Eclipse IDE using Yagarto and Codesourcery as toolchains.
- ARM USB openOCD driver for Windows.
- Various ARM sample project (include source code) that can use the ARM USB openOCD as the debugger and programmer.
- A good documents and instruction about how to use this ARM USB openOCD with Eclipse IDE .
- Other utilities software that can be used to integrate with the ARM development IDE and can work together with ARM USB openOCD (such as CYGWIN GNU C/C++ compiler, GNUARM GNU C/C++ compiler).
- OpenOCD for JTAG debugging software.
(*almost the software list above is open-source)
- This item can be used with the CrossWorks for ARM development IDE too. Please visit the Olimex website for more information about how to use it with CrossWorks for ARM.
For more information about its hardware specifications, you can visit the two links below.
For the person who develop ARM project on an open-source platform, This JTAG would be suitable for you.