Xbee is the device that integrate Microcontroller and RF IC into one piece (one module).
It work as transceiver equipment (the equipment that can both send and receive signal).
Xbee is half-duplex and it operate at 2.4 GHz frequency band. It consume low electric power and easy to use because
the interface used for sending and receiving data with Xbee is UART (TTL), so we can connect the UART communication pin of Xbee to
the UART of microcontroller directly.
Common features summary of Xbee
1. Operating Frequency ISM Band 2.4 GHz
(ISM Band is the frequency band that reserved for use in scientific , medical and industrial purpose. To know more
about ISM Band , please visit this wikipedia page)
2. Supply Voltage between 2.8 – 3.4 Volt
3. Can use together with various types of antenna such as Chip Antenna , Whip Antenna and connector like
U.FL connector , RP-SMA connector (but you have to find the 2.4 GHz antenna in order to use with these connectors).
4. Power Down Current < 10 uA
5. RF data rate of Xbee is about 250 Kbps (this is the data rate of signal that sent via the air)
6. Serial interface data rate is between 1200 - 115200 Bps (this is the data rate of communication between Xbee module